Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Why did Spring Girl Cross the Road?

To get to the chicken on the other side.
 Last Saturday Randy called me outside to witness a chicken strutting down the sidewalk.  I guess this little guy wanted to visit the city.  I was surprised, but then I wasn't.  I like to think of our location as the Axis of Eccentricity.  I'm not sure if this is an exaggeration . . . I AM sure stranger things happen in other parts of the world, but our little corner seems to be a magnet for the peculiar.  This isn't always good, but it sure makes life interesting. 

Anyway, the little Bantam Rooster was a curious sight for squirrels, cats, and people.  I knew he wasn't safe.  I felt kinda confident in chasing him because I love the chickens at the farm.  I'm teased about this by all the workers. They think I can talk chicken.

After chasing the little guy awhile I cornered him and scooped him up pretty easily.
  He was really friendly and even enjoyed being talked to and petted.  I took him over to some friends, but the large hens were literally pecking out his feathers.

 I ended up taking him to the farm where I work.  I love the chicken yard when it is full of produce.  Watching the chickens eat squash has been a treat.   They bowl out the butternut and pumpkins like artisans. 
 The farm cats are never impressed and rarely curious.
 Here is Mr. Fancy Feathers doing much better.  Even though he is smaller than all the other chickens he is holding his own.  I also call him F3 aka Feather Footed Fowl. 
It was brought to my attention that he might have been owned to fight.  I think he is too docile to be a fighter.  I swear he knows who I am.  He stares at me when I talk to him and he places himself where I will be sure to notice him.  I think he is surprised by how he is drawn to me.  A chicken is enamored by me.

Kim said HE found me, I didn't find him.  This may be strangely true.

No comments: