Friday, March 29, 2013

March Pumpkin


Last fall the farmer's wife gave me this big green pumpkin with instructions she was passing on from one of her customers.  "Just let it sit around until it turns orange - about mid February, and then bake it."  Well, I did just that.  After baking I gleaned an overwhelming 19 cups of flesh which drained off about six cups of water.  I have made yummy pumpkin bars, twice. 

After the long ripening of the pumpkin and reading the Long Winter, it occurred to me that the seasons for eating certain foods might not be what we think.  We designate pumpkin eating for the months of October - December, but in reality pumpkin eating could and should go October into late spring.  

I froze the pumpkin, because I don't have a pressure cooker to can with.

No comments: