Monday, June 13, 2016

Learning from the more Experienced.

My colleague Emily is 28 years old, but plays in the Siena Heights University Youth Symphony.  
She invited me to attend.  I saw many friends there, but it was an enlightening experience for me. Older experienced musicians play in the symphony alongside young adults to give them the experience of playing well together.
It's sort of like putting a less experienced athlete on a "stacked" team.  This was interesting to me, because my granddaughter is in softball and is playing alongside other girls who have very little experience playing ball.  There are many concepts to be learned in softball that are hard to translate into practice just by verbal direction.  It seems that these girls could have benefitted by playing alongside older girls with more experience who could verbally command and visually demonstrate the goals of the game.

No comments: