Monday, June 28, 2010

Time for an Un-controlled Joy




My thoughts are often about control, self-mastery, and results. Over the course of my life I have thought if I followed a certain "code" I could guarantee my ambitions and secure my joy. Of course that line of thinking is silly. We really can't control outcomes, so phrases like "it's the journey that matters" takes on more meaning. While I operate with a goal in mind, I really do try to take time to absorb and appreciate the experiences and lessons learned along the way.

Here's the thing . . . I have noticed that the things that give me the most joy I couldn't anticipate, I couldn't predict, I couldn't foresee.

I am enchanted by this hydrangea bush in my yard. Just a year ago I was so disgusted with the bush that I was ready to dig it up and give it to Jacob, but then the most surprising and unexpected thing happened . . . it blossomed ABUNDANTLY.

I did very little. I'd given up hope that it would produce for me so I had a plan to give it a better opportunity for achieving it's beautiful potential.

Timing is delicate. Time should be respected and handled gingerly. Time is mysterious. How do we KNOW when the TIME is "right?" We can't control time, but we if we try to live in full attention we might discover the significance of the present moment.

I can't control anything, not even myself, but I will do my best, leave the results to God, and hold a little hope that I might bloom, abundantly, at some unexpected time.

1 comment:

EmKDee said...

What a pretty, pretty post. You speak the truth. See you in August!