Friday, July 9, 2010

Seeing

A few weeks back I met a really interesting lady who suggested I investigate the magazine Seeing the Everyday. I talk a lot about living life in "full attention," the words Seeing the Everyday just rephrases that idea. Some of the concepts suggested on the site are "finding the poetry in the prosaic." Meaning that there is beauty and wisdom found in the "ordinary."
While looking over the site I found the following words. The text is rather small so I can't credit the author, but lately, I have talked a lot about effort, spiritual wholeness, and about living life as a work in progress that will never be fully completed. The author in concise language summed it all up,
"Whatever wholeness we achieve requires enormous work, which is the effort of life; and that work is never complete."

William Isaacs in his book Dialogue and the Art of Thinking Together says "the act of respect invites us to see others as legitimate." Seeing = Respect Isaacs's also says the Zulu word Sawa translates as "I see you" which at it's essence means "I sustain you in the world." I was struk when I read the passage because I made the connection "I see you" to ICU.
When I respect and give full attention, to you or anything in life, I am making an intensive care unit in my heart.

No comments: