Sunday, June 12, 2011

Hope and Assurance




On our first visit to NYC we took the ferry past Liberty Island, this time we went to the island. The statue is so much bigger than any of us had imagined. It is enormous!
Tip: If you plan on visiting get your tickets months in advance so you can secure entrance onto the pedestal deck or into the crown (torch is under repair).
I was happy to just get onto the island, to read the plaques and see the Orange County Chopper Liberty Bike -SWEEEEEET! It is made from copper scraps from the statue and is used to raise money for Liberty's maintenance.
I learned so much there and I hesitate revealing the interesting facts because I want you to go and see for yourself.
Tickets to the island include a trip to Ellis Island. The restoration of the buildings and the preservation of its history is a source of pride for our nation.

Upon entrance into the main building one sees small trolleys linked together and loaded with traveling trunks, storage baskets,and bags. On the third floor are displays of objects brought from the mostly European immigrants. Many of the objects are difficult to recognize, a newborn baby's presentation sheet, a curious crochet hook . . . Important documents, the recommendation from a former employer, baptismal certificates, an engagement and wedding certificate, report cards, diplomas, a candy recipe.
In another room is the work from several photographers. They have captured haunting images of an abandoned Ellis Island in the late fifties and early sixties. Images that speak of neglect and rejection spelled out in dust, broken, rot, peeling . . .
The restored courtroom, images of health screenings, details of mental competency testing, the strange hanging beds . . . contents of the final gauntlet before admission.
And then to remind us of what waited for them after admittance, was a display describing the Triangle Fire and in another room hung newspapers with headlines boldly capitalizing derogatory terms used to characterize these newcomers . . .
my people, some of whom never became U.S. citizens . . . but they took some rest here.

"she cries
With silent lips. 'Give me your tired,your poor,
your huddled masses yearning to breath free,'"
Emma Lazarus, 1883

I didn't see everything on the island, but I TOOK what I needed and I am holding onto it tightly.

Ai Weiwei yearns to breath free in his land. He is in my prayers.

Anyway, thanks to my cousin for contributing to the Ellis Island restoration fund. It warmed my heart to see my family's name posted.

No comments: