Tuesday, April 3, 2012

St. Patrick's Baby Shower

March 17th was Julie's baby shower, St. Patrick's Day, and Ivy and David's Anniversary.  I love to play Irish on St. Pat's day calling myself Mrs. O'Draky.  With my reddish hair, green eyes and Irish accent I make a convincing impostor.  I wore my plaid green skirt, short boots white shirt, green sweater, and my mother's old suede cap. Why didn't anyone take my picture?  And, why didn't I drink any Bushmills (like a good Protestant)? 

Anyway, at this time I was reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  In Rubin's chapter on money she describes herself as being an "underconsumer."  Meaning she doesn't think to spend money on the things she needs so she tends to not have essentials on hand.  I sort of relate to this.  I am an in and out of the store kind of shopper; most of the time I am concentrating on getting one item.  I bought baby Jame's baby book, but I forgot to get wrapping paper.  So at the last minutes I was scrambling around trying to "make up" gift wrapping.  The package above is the results.  Now I know it isn't as flashy as it could be, but I realized that being an underconsumer invites the opportunity to be creative.  

I was happy that I got to use my Hunca Munca stamp.  
Grandma Elizabeth gave me this wonderful cup for my birthday.  It was an ironic gift considering that Spot broke my "Secret Garden" tea cup.  Jeff said I should take Spot to the store  . . .  Stop! Like who ever sees anyone with a pet cat in the store? A dog, maybe. A cat, never.  Continue . . . take Spot to the store and buy her something she has always wanted.  Then when you get home BREAK IT!  right in front of her.  *sigh* Jeff is always the comic.

I told the kids at St. Stephen's the story and Jeff's solution and they were HORRIFIED!  I laughed and said, "That's just Jeff trying to be funny. I would never do that."  But the dears were concerned about me losing my tea cup and kinda felt like the cat needed to be punished.  Poor Spot is being punished enough with her skin affliction.  When people see her I say, "UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN!" like she has leprosy.  Poor old cat, I am NOT believing that this is Karma for knocking over the frog's bowl -TWICE. Anyway Lexi asked, "What will you do Mrs. Drake?"  Able spoke up and said, "She can just a new one."  I said, "One I can appreciate the other ones I have."  I have been on a journey of detachment and what I have found is that the more detached I am the more gratitude I have. 

Anyway, I love this cup although I handle it very gingerly.  In quiet reflection I saw God's lesson's.  God loves me and will provide for my needs.  This isn't about cups, it's about the gift of friendship. All the dolls on the cup are reminders of my friends who are "living dolls." 

No comments: