Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Joy of Film

Today it is "Oscar Night," when the Academy Awards are celebrated globally.  It is a night of drama when the work force of the film industry puts on a glamorous and noble persona. 

When Oscar season comes around I always feel this sense of shame at society's fascination and preoccupation with the community of film making and its art.  I'm confident that there are many films that deserve recognition, although I'm equally as confident that many notable works go unrecognized.  While the Academy's voting process seems to be democratic, it's more than an opinion to say that the jury voting doesn't always give just recognition.  Sometimes awards are given based on who you are, who you know, and how much money your film made. 

When Oscar season comes around I am reminded by how much the public is a worshipper of the movie industry.  I have funny and embarrassing testimonials of star "swooning,"  which I'm glad I had because it reminds me of how powerful the imagination is, how the power of imagination can be manipulated by other's, and how the imagination should be exercised and trained to do and bring about good.  Imagining Good is the forst step at creating good.

I don't know why, perhaps science and religion could explain, but the celebrity created by the film and music industries have an easy route in achieving "obsessive preoccupation" in the imagination.  This can lead to blind, ignorant, and dangerous reverence for the habits and beliefs of celebrities.  I try to tread carefully through and around all things related to the film industry. We all should.

Films can be good forms of brief escapism, but it's better to live your own story.


Today I want to share some joyful discoveries I have had with film.

If you haven't seen as digitally remaster version (I'm sure blue ray is even better) of the Wizard of OZ DO IT!  Remastering has really brought new life to the story. 

Tributes to the early days of film:
The Artist
The Magic of Melies - documentary about Geoges Melies (the father of special effects) by Jacques Meny
The Lost Garden - a documentary about the first woman filmmaker Alice Guy-Blache by Marguise Lapage.  Guy-Blache's personal story is filled with lessons.







No comments: