Saturday, January 3, 2015

Grandma's Cookie House




I have been wanting to make a gingerbread house with my grandkids.  When? How? What? This year it was now!   The what was a gingerbread version of my house -pink with green shutters.  Above are pictures of how it was done.  I am having trouble with blogger and am unable to upload certain pictures.  I'm a person in a rush most of the time so I haven't taken the time to figure out this problem, so the image of my grandkids decorating the house is not provided.

Taking a cue from a friend I constructed the house before the grandkids decorated it.  This was a good move because construction took several days and two concrete mixtures.  It was a bit frustrating, but I persevered.

The gingerbread house was entered into the Adrian Public Library gingerbread contest.  The contest raised money for library services - mostly the summer reading program.  Friends of the Library sold five tickets for a dollar and the public voted for their favorite by putting a ticket in a canning jar.  We didn't win the community favorite award, but we did win first prize in the multi-generational catagory with the special distinction of being "The Most Elaborate."  The grandkids were surprised by our win.

On the base I attached a lable on which I wrote a quote from Arianna, "Grandma's house always smells like cookies."

I hope they will remember the experience. 

No comments: