Tuesday, December 11, 2007

An Art Experience

Jeff needs to acquire art experience points through Adrain College. How the points are obtained is through visiting a list of aproved shows. Because Jeff played football he wasn't able to experience art like he would have liked or needed. As we approached the end of the semester I went to a few shows with him. It's nice to spend time with the boy and to take in some art, both of which make my soul feel better.
We went to Siena to see a photography exhibit, to the LCVA to see the salon show, to the Toledo Museum of Art to see an exhibit of drawings by David Maculay (The Way Things Work), and to Flat Landers (which never ceases to amaze me with the quality of work they bring to Lenawee County).
The Siena show, "The Tale of Two Cities," featured photography by Eugene Atget and Berenice Abbott. Atget's photos were of Paris around 1920, Abbott's were of New York around 1940. All in black and white, the photos were beyond being charming, nostalgic, or historical records. They were more like arechological specimins of extinct relatives. I know that sounds dramatic, but it's amazing how much we have evolved is such a short time . . . or are we even closer now to the brink of extinction? Anyway I found the show stirring in a wonderful way.
The highlight of art expeiencing came on Sunday when we by chance stumbled upon a glass blowing exhibit by Mark Wagar of Riga. It was esentially a performance for Jeff and me, as only Mark's assistants and family were there. Towards the end of the demonstration Mark's neighbor boy came and watched the event. That was cute. I tried to get out of him what kind of impression this event was having on him, but I think the words for such experiences may come later after much reflection. Someday he might just take notice of how lucky he was to live next door to a glass blower, and how it shaped who his is.
Here's the ironic part, I came away inspired in my own art and can't wait to find some time to express myself. It was funny the way my brain traveled mixing ideas and impressions, folding and forming art in my brain. Thanks glass guy!

No comments: