Sunday, June 22, 2008

Garden Riches





The rhubarb is from my garden, but the strawberries are from Gwen's. She invited me over to pick some and they are mighty good. Randy and I had strawberry margaritas two days in a row. The rhubarb was turned into strawberry rhubarb sauce and rhubarb cookies. I wasn't too impressed with the cookie recipe; the rhubarb flavor wasn't strong enough for my liking.
The queen of the garden this year is the hollyhocks. They have never been so pretty. I have to admit that I have been trying to get them to this stage for years. One plant became two, became five . . .
Finally, these beauties are the result. When I was a child my father would take a rural route on the way to grandma's. I would see hollyhocks growing on the side of the road and I would admire them. I am so happy to finally have a pretty patch of my own.

No comments: