Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chair-ity




It's my third year making chairs for the local Boys ans Girls club chair-ity auction.
This I did two chairs. The following is my artist's statement for the chairs.

Round Heaven, Square Earth, 2010


Round Heaven, Square Earth
Spirit, Matter
Spherical, Flat Planes

I had been thinking about the phrase, “We are spirits having an Earthly experience.” Additionally, I have thought about the spiritual and Earthly battles waged within and outside ourselves.

I took some time to study Ephesians 6:11 – 18, parts of Sun Tzu’s “The Art of War,” and I listened to the Flobots album Fight with Tools.

The syndicated cartoon character Pogo said, “We have met the enemy . . . and he is us,” additionally the saying goes, “We are our own worse enemy.” While these statements suggest that we might sabotage our own efforts, perhaps these sayings also suggest that the naive thinking “everyone is essentially good and has our best interest at heart” is what does us the most harm. Maybe it is our preoccupation with the worldly that weakens our spirit?

Some of us seem to have limited endurance, while others, both good and bad, seem limitless. Readiness for war includes understanding your enemy while building up your strengths as a warrior. These are the best weapons to WIN the battles we each face.

Where there is war bring peace.
Where there is sickness bring healing.
Where there is poverty and disaster bring resources.
Where there is hate bring love.


That's it. I love them. It was an emotional struggle to do anything creative this year, but these chairs helped to get me through that battle.

OH! When I went to Dr. Garza's to take picture's of the chairs I saw what I thought was a butterfly, once I focused I realized it was a BAT! It was out in broad daylight! I tried to put a positive spin on the situation. The word for bat in Chinese sounds like the word for blessing, so the image of a bat in Chinese art means blessing (the bat is revered as it helps out the farmer by eating bugs). Otherwise the bat was just ill and wanted to attack me.

1 comment:

EmKDee said...

Those are FANTASTIC, Heidi. You're such a talent, even when you're in transition. I know the feeling of creativity gone astray but this is such a great example of what it can become even in those dark times. Very cool, miss.