Friday, October 14, 2011


Art Prize gets it share of criticism. The winners, including the $250,000 grand prize winner, is decided by the public. The thought is that the public isn't art educated and that artists cater to the locals tastes. I liked that the public is asked to engage with the art. Many people came out to see the works. There were bus loads of children (what a cheap field trip just the cost of gas and the driver)and there were folks you couldn't imagine caring about anything artistic. What I came to see clearly is that people from all walks of life love art and they admire wholesome authentic talent in all human endeavors. So the artists catered to the public and we didn't see any work that was vulgar. Oh darn. Yes sometimes the public gets it wrong on who they award. This year's winner showed more perseverance with her material than skillfulness in manipulation. Still, a glass mosaic of the crucifixion that is 20 feet(?) tall leaves and impression!
I had a lovely day. I ate well: Risotto cakes, spinach & artichoke dip, veggie wrap, fried feta cheese, warm bread, bloody Mary made with pickle juice, and a hot fudge brownie sundae. But by far the best thing was being with my friends . . . I feel emotionally swaddled when I am with them.

These fruit were constructed from juice boxes which I took as a commentary on what is going into the land fill and what we are putting into children. We put the juice but not the fruit into the child. They get the sweet syrup with none of the fiber.


This is the lobby of Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, Grand Rapids.






1
1
1










My friend Carlos Tobar entered this painting titled, There's an Elephant in the Room. Is the elephant the fact that everyone is naked?

No comments: