Monday, October 31, 2011

Cat Scratch Fever


So Spot has allergies.  She went in for an allergy shot, but it did little good for her.  She doesn't have fleas, but she has been feverishly scratching.  I was so stressed out over her condition that I risked my own life to bandage her head.  See her death stare? The wrapping didn't last long.  Still, I think she might be on the mend in part because she is on antibiotics.

During her ailment/recovery she has been spending a lot of time in the bathroom.  She lays on the rug in front of the shower ALL DAY.  This is weird.  I feel like a lab rat.  She lays there observing my and others actions. She hands out looks of curiosity, pity, and disgust.  She is determined to maintain her ground so we have to step over her to get out/into the shower.  Recently she has been wanting to crawl into the towel cupboard to sleep. 

We all know that Spot can be a bully, but she has been my baby during this ordeal, allowing me to clean and nurse her sores.  I talk in a soothing voice and she has been talking back.  I lay hands on her and pray for her healing.  Animals are mirrors reflecting to us our levels of compassion.    Animals have remarkable levels of empathy; sadly animals often show more compassion to other animals than we do.

Recently, I listened to Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.  On my book list is Lost Dogs which is about the Michael Vick fight dogs.  I don't want to look away from these tough subjects, because I know I can do better and expect better from others when it comes to animals.

No comments: