Sunday, September 16, 2007

More art stuff

I saw the work of my old teacher, John Leyland, at Flatlanders. There was one new piece that made me weep it was so lovely. It was a soothing blue. Too bad I don't have picture. John was my metals teacher. He could make me laugh. He loves to talk and he can be outrageously funny. I ran into him not too long ago in A2 . . . wearing his signature hat. Here's an image of one of his pieces.

Also, Adrian had hosted Art-a-liscious. Too bad it was so cold, but I got to see my old buddies Em and Star (Em is in the middle Star is on the right and Em's friend is on the left, I'll call her Jessica cause I forgot her name).


There was great art at the show, the things that inspired me was the girl who crocheted the hearts. She dyed and cut the fabric, then she crocheted the strips into a free style heart.
I love Gregorio's prints, which I equate to poetry. Poetry uses a few words with such precision as to evoke strong emotions in the heart and vibrant images in the mind. Printmaking is the poetry of art. Simple tools and materials evoking powerful feelings.
And lastly Carlos Tobar's paintings. So beautiful. So, so beautiful. His new stuff stunned me. It was almost too much for me to take in. He is so happy with his art. (as he should be). It is made of the stuffs that swirls at the center of my life . . . the magical realism. He was showing me the different images and how they were all things from his life, but he unveiled the magic that is the essence of those objects.
For those of you that really get me . . well I am Verklempt - overcome with emotions. The mastery in skill and the mastery in expression displayed in this art . . . of someone I know . . . and to have captured the ideal I function under. I can barely breath.
Go see his work in October at the LCVA and see if you can grasp my awe.

No comments: