Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Red Admiral


Since March my garden has been full of Red Admiral Butterflies.  Two days in a row I found dead wings from two separate butterflies.  I read that they are territorial so perhaps they were the remains of some that fell in a duel.
They have the habit of resting on white spots like window trim or fence posts, to attract a mate.  This one was resting on the comet on star door.  Oh, I wanted that picture!
 . . the Admiral riding a comet in search of love . . .

I made a slide of one of the wings I found. 

Each year brings its surprises and little joys.  This year it is the Red Admiral.

This spring had been really beautiful.  The flowers are robust, and the mild temps allow us to enjoy them a little longer.  The winds have been strong, but there have been many fine moments for "sailing"  if you can find the time.


 

No comments: