Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Wood Nymph

While in New Ulm I caught sight of this sculpture.  I sometimes have trouble getting the hubby to stop and look at things so, I took Brandy for a little joy ride.  She was wondering why I was taking her down an alley, but was happy to think we were just doing it to look into peoples' back yards.  When we reached my point of interest we were astounded by this beautifully carved tree trunk leaning up against a garage.  It reminds me of all the stories I have heard of women being tree spirits.  In the story The Girl Who Cried Flowers by Jane Yolen, a girl exploited for her magical ability to cry flowers is finally released from the burden of her gift when she is transformed into a tree.

One of my favorite myths is of Daphne who is turned into a laurel tree.

 This breathtakingly beautiful sculpture of Apollo and Daphne by Bernini is perhaps my favorite sculpture.  The chaste Daphne is being transformed into a Laurel Tree in order to escape the lustful Apollo. 

No comments: