Sunday, June 24, 2012

Firefly

I'm reading The Firefly Letters by Margarita Engle. 

"Cuban fireflies are the most amazing
little creatures I have ever seen.
They flock to me at night,
resting on my fingers
so that, while I am sketching
and writing letters,
I need no other lantern,
just the light
from their movements.
This beautiful passage struck me . . . abundant fireflies curious about people, perhaps
attracted by our infrared radiation, and I'm sure each of us has our own special glow based on what we are thinking and feeling.  

As I like to do every summer's morning . . . I took my cup of coffee outside and sat on the stoop drinking up the sweet and simple joy of cool air and bird song.  The cat greeted me and then I saw a firefly flying low.  It landed on the house.  I thought it must be confused.  Shouldn't he be sleeping?  But, just then it notice me and flew over landing smoothly on my knee.  It crawled a bit and made and sudden take-off, perhaps to find some dark and quiet place to sleep.  I'll bet he had a wild night and hadn't made it to bed yet.

In case you haven't done this before . . .  try to see the fireflies in the country, look over a long stretch of field to marvel at acres and acres of fire light sparks filling the up the atmosphere. 

No comments: