Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fresh from the Farm

 I love that the beets look like hearts.
 I love using grandma's grater.
Beets smell really good when they are cooking.

I have been working at the Goetz farm on Fridays.  I work in the fields mostly.  Before I go they load me up with produce.  I am so grateful because the veggies are so fresh and tasty (the best I've ever had) and it is truly helping me to keep my grocery costs down.

Last week I came home with: beets, peas, chard, broccoli, lettuce, and garlic scape (also two flats of flowers).
I still had green beans left over from the week before so on Monday I made potato, beans, and cavatapi pasta tossed with pesto.  I love how the pasta potatoes and beans cook together.  I use a Knorr pesto mix.  Dinner cost me $2.50.

Today I made borscht.  We will have it cold.  I will serve it two ways to see how we like it best. 1. With grated onion and sour cream.  2. With grated orange peel, fresh orange juice, and sour cream.  We are going to have a salad with the cold soup. 

I also made roasted pea puree for pizza, and broccoli salad as a side for burgers. 

The week before I had baby yellow and zuchinin squash veggie quesadillas.  This is a family favorite.

No comments: