Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 2 Art for the Heart


I love the subway station mosaics.

Saturday was a big day. I spent most of it with J. He took me to the floral district. I was surprised to see the plants were reasonably priced! There were many beautiful Jasmins and succulents. The succulents made me think of the dude at Adrian Farmer's Market who creates cement troughs and fills them with delicate plants. The fancy succulents would look nice in one of his troughs. Here is the trough I bought for $25.00. I love it because it has three colors. The iron Frog Prince was a gift from Maripat.

By chance we passed a Vietnamese immigrant parade. I have been reading Stealing Buddah's Dinner so it was fun to hear the announcer say "ao dai" and know what it means.

We then headed to the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art). Outside the museum there were artists selling their goods. One young lady was selling creatures made from woven palm leaves. She said she learned how to do it from her Chinese mother. I bought the cicada, of course.


On youtube there are several clips demonstrating how to fold palm leaves. The young lady (darn I wish I would have gotten my picture taken with her) said the cicada brings "good luck." I love thinking that her heart, soul, and good wishes are woven into the cicada.
I really was excited when I saw it because I have images I found on the web of bugs created in the same method, but made from brightly colored plastic drinking straws.

No comments: