Friday, July 10, 2009

Finally!


Last summer I read the book Everything is Illuminated. the story is about discovering yourself through your ancestors and their experiences. The book reveals the history of an Ukrainian shetel. Eventually the story takes place during WWII. I hate stories with Nazis, but the writing was so exciting that I didn't need to force myself to read it.
I knew there was movie Everything is Illuminated before I knew there was a book. When I discovered the movie was based on a book I set out to read it before seeing the movie. I got a good recommendation about the book from a librarian. Everyone should know I'm a snob when it comes to literature, I haven't time for a bad book. Everything is Illuminated was the one novel I read last summer and it was worth every bit of my time.
When I was in NYC at the MoMA and saw the Project 90: Song Dong exhibit I mentioned to J that it reminded me of Everything is Illuminated, some collected objects don't seem to make sense. Anyway . . .
I was a Big Lots the other day, in the hair accessory department, when I saw the DVD of Everything is Illuminated laying among the hair clips. The cost was $3.00 so I bought it. The movie was different from the book, but the film interpretation was excellent. The film not only preserved, but enhanced the spirit of the book.
Still, I recommend reading the book for the colorful and exciting historical tales. And, really, you can read it anytime before or after seeing the movie.

No comments: