Sunday, August 26, 2007

Eating Carry In


Every year in August Randy and I do Meals on Wheels. This year we were assigned a particularly hard route, hard physically and emotionally. I was so glad I wasn't doing it alone. It was definitely a two person operation.
Meals on Wheels provides me with a reality check. It's easy for me to isolate and insulate myself from people who are struggling like the . . . poor, addicted, blind, deaf, confused, obese, sick and dying, depressed, cognitively impaired, lonely, amputees. All these were on our route.
I kept asking myself, "Who are these people?"
I know there are those that think we get what we deserve, we get what we earn, we are solely responsible for our own destinies BLAH BLAH BLAH. I'm telling you that no one in their right mind would dare to sign on for the lives these people live.
I understand that we all need to take responsibility for own destinies, but only part of it. We have a duty to self and others. We live in societies not in isolation (though sometimes we like to think we can). We need to help everyone be their best self. We need to bless ourselves by blessing others, although no amount of good deeds is protection from disaster.
I kept thinking . . . "I'm one catastrophe away from this kind of life. Thank-you God. Help me God."
The good news is that the meals are pretty good. One lady asked me to put the food in her frig. It was nearly empty except for some bottles of Ensure. So I suppose if you have to wait for someone to bring you food, and the food that is delivered is halfway decent, then that is one less burden of worry you have to carry. "No Mam, Thank you for allowing us to help."

1 comment:

DD said...

wow! a good reality check, huh!?

I had a great time with you today at the beach!