Saturday, August 11, 2007

Snapshots of my life






Kadie said she wants to do "big girl things." I do have limits on those sorts of activities, but learning how to make scrambled eggs with creamed cheese and chives will be a valuable life skill sure to give any "big girl" at least 2 degrees of confidence.
I found the cutest Italian made shoes at the resale shop. I feel pretty just looking at them. They originally retailed for $300.00.
I got more eggs from Elizabeth. Aren't they so pretty? I used one to make a peach cream pie. I took it to Briggie's for lunch on Tuesday, but since then I made one more pie which was even better. I've been fussing with this recipe for a few years now and I hope at last that it has been perfected. Randy's mouth waters when he knows I'm making Peach cream pie, yours will too by then end of this post.

Peach Cream Pie
Crust for one 9 inch pie (Never buy frozen, either make your own or use an all ready type)
3/4 c. sugar
4 Tablespoons flour
6-8 Red Haven Peaches (get them from the local grower) skins removed and cut into halves or quarters
1 egg yolk (from the egg of one of Elizabeth's chicken's if possible)
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and grated
cinnamon powder
foil

Grate the ginger and put it in a cup with the cream. Let this sit while you fix the rest of the pie.
Pre-heat the oven to 450.
Prepare the pie crust. Use a glass or ceramic pie plate if possible. Poke the pie crust with a fork and place it in the hot pre-heated oven for five minutes.
Peel and slice the peaches. In a bowl gently toss the peaches with the the flour and sugar.
Remove the crust from the oven and pour the peach mixture into the pie shell.
Strain the grated ginger from the cream. Add the egg yolk to the cream and beat until the yolk is well combined. Pour the cream mixture over the peaches and sprinkle the pie with cinnamon.
Wrap the crust edge with strips of foil (don't cover the whole pie!). Bake the pie for ten minutes at 450. Reduce the heat and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Insert a knife into a section of the cream. If the knife comes out clean your pie is done.
Cool then chill the pie. I like my pie cold, on a hot summer day. Others like it a room temperature, refrigerate the leftovers (if there are any)
It's really a very easy pie to make. And, honestly, it is my personal recipe. One of my own invention because I investigated several recipes and created my own. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ugh, Heidi. . . this sounds divine. I love the idea of "big girl things" and eggs are a great way to start. Soon, Kadie will be experimenting with spice, my most favorite gourmet accessory.

Have you perused Penzey's?